CrossFit is known for confusing those that aren’t in the community. Everything from the culture to its many acronyms and terms that are seemingly obvious to the initiated are beyond comprehension to an outsider. To explain some of this CrossFit Jargon we have put together some of them to explain their meaning to newbies, experienced CrossFitters who may be too shy to ask, or anyone who is looking in from the outside and just wants to understand CrossFit a little bit more.
- http://thesweetsunshine.com/2015/07/ AMRAP – As Many Rounds As Possible. A workout done in a specified time.
- topamax buy fast As RX’d – As Prescribed. Suggested ___(weight, reps, etc.) for a workout.
- see url Box – Either used in box jumps or refers to a CrossFit specific gym.
- Burpee – a painful 4-count exercise. Drop to a squat with hands on the ground, throw your feet back (some variations go into a pushup), return your feet to the squat position, then jump up from there.
- DUs – Double Unders. Two turns of the jump rope per jump.
- EMOM – Every Minute on the Minute.
- METCON – Metabolic Conditioning.
- PR – Personal Record (AKA: PB = Personal Best). Can be for max lifts, repetition completions, or time finishing a WOD.
- Rep – Repetition. One particular instance of an exercise.
- Set – Each set will have a certain number of repetitions within it.
- Tabata – a protocol of 20 seconds of exercise followed by 10 seconds of rest.
- WOD – Workout of the Day. It’s a shame if you are a CrossFitter and didn’t know this one!
Those are some of the CrossFit Jargon you can expect to hear around CrossFitters and the box at any point in time. To get your own dose of the CrossFit culture, stop by our location in Jupiter, FL during our next WOD!